Sunday 19 November 2017

Loosing Sight..

At the beginning of 2017 I shared with you all about “The Day I Lost my Sight”. Through writing this about my blindness in my right eye due to my Juvenile Arthritis that began in my teenage years, many reached out to me and Kids Arthritis to share their stories and access support.

During October 2017 I visited my Opthamologist, had some scans of my eyes and this was all fine, but the result wasn’t.
Once again I was back in the big blue chair and on the screen were the images which had been taken.
What happened next, changed my life.

On the screen, I saw the scan of the back of my eye and what was showing were some tiny
‘bubbles’ in the left eye (my seeing eye). These bubbles aren’t friendly bubbles, they’re Macular Degeneration.

The look on the Opthamologist face said it all.

Surprised, upset and unsure of how this could come about. All the medical treatments are
supposed to prevent this from happening, but still it has occured.



But you know what I did in that moment. I didn’t get angry or upset. I thought about the 1 in
1000 children in Australia living with Juvenile Arthritis. About how much pain they’re in right now and everyday, thinking they’re the only ones living like this. I also thought how much they need someone like me who can stand up for them living with Juvenile Arthritis and Kids Arthritis tosupport them and show them that it’s going to be ok.

Medical professionals don’t know yet when my sight will disappear, but what I do know is that with your help we can ensure that more children living with Juvenile Arthritis, who could be going through this situation don’t need to do it alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment