Monday 18 July 2016

Hospital Torment

Every year since birth to age 13 years I'd have to deal with the cold hard fact that I would have to have an operation of some sort, but would never know exactly what.

The operation would always happen around the beginning of Spring and my mother could always tell it was coming. I'd always feel fatigued during the day and have painful, swollen joints that would never go away. In the beginning I was too young to recognise what my body was doing to me, but as I got older it became a bigger and more annoying problem.

Through beginning Australia's First organisation, Kids Arthritis I have found that this also happens to other children all around the world.

Eventually the swelling would make my joints so stiff, swollen and painful that the only way to remove the problem temporarily was to have an operation. 

I hated this so much, more than anyone could ever imagine. My horrible childhood memories are all from these times in hospital. Being forced by medical professionals to do certain things for my treatment and would hold me down and make the pain worse if I wouldn't do so. 

This kind of treatment lead me to have a huge fear of the dreaded gas mask and instead would be first be sedated with a injection to feel 'relaxed' (it never worked). I then had a final injection to put me to sleep for the operation. 

I can remember many times when this 'relaxed' injection didn't work and I had to deal with what the medical professional would do next, as they thought the injection worked. 

Once the operation was over, I would wake up with Tweety, Arthur the Arthritis Bear and my mother by my side, and would full in and out of sleep of many hours to come. 

I remember the first thing I would do once I'd woken up for the first time, would be to feel where the intravenous was in my body. Sometimes it was in my arms, others in my tiny Arthritis hands. I would then feel what the doctors had done during the operation. What arms, legs, wrists, elbows, etc were in plaster and if there was anything inserted into my nose or mouth for food, water or air. I'd then peacefully drift back to sleep once I knew what was going on. 

Remember this really happens to Children who live with Arthritis. This happened every year and every time the procedure was different, but what stayed the same was that the Arthritis had made it happen.

The last time I had an operation was a couple of years ago and it was to remove swelling, stiffness and a bursa from my left elbow at the REPAT Hospital. 

Once you've been grown up living like this, you don't expect anything different and this is a sad thing. To think that for the rest of my life I have to live with this disease that controls how my body feels and acts. Leading to operations and doctors appointments just like the ones written above.

No child should ever have to live like this.

www.kidsarthritis.org 

No comments:

Post a Comment