Monday 8 August 2016

Working and Juvenile Arthritis

South Australia has the highest unemployment rate which makes it harder for those living with a hidden condition to gain employment.

I believe I was quite lucky when gaining my first job. I was a member at the gym and had spoken with the manager on a regular basis, but when it came to a second job. It was a whole different story.

I've been through the whole cold canvasing walking around and handing in my resume at every Arthritis friendly work place. Applying online and not getting anywhere. 

When I would finally get invited for an interview I knew I had two choices.

1. Disclose my Juvenile Arthritis.
2 Keep it a secret and not disclose.

Everyone with a disability have this choice and is something that children who live with Juvenile Arthritis may one day have to face.

I choose each time to disclose.


Now you're thinking; well it shouldn't make any difference, but it does and disability discrimination happens. I've had to deal with it all my 22 years of living.

Those people who judge as I park my car in a disabled permit zone or those who wonder why I just walked out of the disabled toilet at a venue. This can be seen as disability discrimination in the community.

We all have choices and a young person living with Juvenile Arthritis doesn't just have to deal with the pain and stiffness of the disease, but the thought of gaining employment one day. 

This is one of the reasons I began my own business in the health and fitness industry and eventually Kids Arthritis Australia. So that employers and employees will understand what Juvenile Arthritis is and how to support someone who lives with it.

Click here for more resources on this topic and feel free to get in contact regarding this as well. This is why Kids Arthritis Australia and I are here, to support children, their families and careers living with Juvenile Arthritis. 

No comments:

Post a Comment