Monday 5 September 2016

That New Medication Face

I was recently sent an article titled 18 Things People With Autoimmune Diseases Want You to Know out of the 18 things this particular meme stood out for me.
Not only does the Meerkat appear to be on Prednisolone (Arthritis medication that can make you gain weight and become round in the face), but looking as if there's a glimmer of hope for the new medication. 

The face I used to create when my Rheumy informed me that yet another medication was available for trial, was somewhat different as I grew older. 

Much like the Meerkats face, there was some hope, but as I got older it became an annoying problem.

I know what you're thinking.

"but Sarah isn't a new medication a good idea?" 

Well reader, it can be. Sometimes you think.

"This is the one! The one that means I can be pain and side effect free for the rest of my life."

Other times, especially as I became older and could realise more about my condition it became more like.

Sarcasm "Great! A new medication which they know little about that will only help me for a short period of time and leave me with life long side effects."

You can tell how my view on the medical world and how I was treated changed as I became more aware of how it functioned.

Don't get me wrong. Some children just need one trial of medication and it works for life. What I say to those people is Well Done! I would just love to be that child.
Others like myself, are not so lucky. 

It was always a different medication around every 3 to 5 years. Yes this may seem like a long time, but remember I'm only 22 years old. 

The question you have now, is what medication am I currently on?
Well the best medication in Australia is unable to help me, so I've had to take a step back and consume a little tablet each day that's eating my stomach lining, but allows me to walk. Yes, you read that right. These are the kinds of sacrifices a child has to make who live with Arthritis. 

I know that there's children, parents and careers out there who are reading this right now and can understand how this feels, but to people reading this and learning about Juvenile Arthritis. Thank you for taking the time to learn more about this hidden yet common condition as it's people just like you, who will help change the way the world views Arthritis. 

No comments:

Post a Comment