Monday 26 September 2016

What do I Ask the Doctor?

Since the invention of Google in September 4th 1998, people have been jumping online to self diagnose. 

This is incredibly risky and I don't recommend anyone do this. 

There's a reason doctors study for many years, so that they can treat you in the best possible way. Even though my life experiences with thee medical professionals haven't been the best, I owe my life to them. Without their knowledge and skills I wouldn't be here and you wouldn't be reading this. 

When a child is first diagnosed with Juvenile Arthritis there's so many questions racing through the heads of those involved. In this weeks post I have compiled through my experiences with JIA a list of questions to ask your health professional.

1. How will the Juvenile Arthritis be treated?
This one is the most important and should be asked first. There's many different methods and your doctor will know which one is best for the child.

2. How can the other symptoms be managed?
When your child has Juvenile Arthritis (JIA) there will be many symptoms that your child will show. Every child' JIA is different, so this question can only be answered by your doctor not, Doctor Google.

3. Is there any activities that my child do to relieve pain and swelling?
Exercise for anyone is important, but what's important here is that you are refereed to a physiotherapist or other health professional by your doctor to manage these conditions.



4. What causes JIA?
A common question that you can find a more in depth answer here

5. What if symptoms come back?
Symptoms may come and go when living with JIA, but having a trusting relationship with your doctor will make this easier. Stay in contact when ever you can with your doctor and seek advice from other support organisations.

6. Will my Child always live with JIA?
All my life I waited until I was 16 years old, as that was going to be the age my JIA would disappear. It didn't, but I still wait for the day it does disappear. Even if it does I'll still be left with the side effects. Every child is different, so keeping in contact with your doctor is most important.

7. What medicines might treat this condition?
There are many different medications available, but each one is different just like the children who require them. Some do sound 'scary' but, the one thing we do know is they can help. Once again your doctor know best and they'll know what is suitable for your child. 

Always remember there is now support out there for you. I began Kids Arthritis Australia as there was none when I was growing up with JIA. If I didn't begin the organisation, children their parents and careers would still be living like I did. Isolated and alone battling this hidden yet common condition. 

No comments:

Post a Comment