Wednesday 23 December 2015

It's the most wonderful time of the year!

"It's the most wonderful time of the year."

I think the above phrase should be changed to.

"It's the most painful and inflaming time of the year."

Why you ask?

In Australia Christmas Time is during summer. Our Summers reach a low of 28 degrees to a high of 42 degrees and higher. This sudden change in temperature every day activates my Arthritis and sends my inflammation sky high!

When I was a child and for 13 years in a row, this is the time of year I was admitted to hospital to have inflammation around my joints removed or a surgery to do with medication abuse and side effects. Most of the time it was for both and it would take me out of school for 4 to 5 days straight.

Now missing school is every child's wish, but for me. It never was. 
My wish was to be able to attend school so I could learn new and exciting things, but to also have the social aspect with my friends. 

As adults if we don't keep in contact with a person, we essentially loose them as a friend. This is what happens to a child with Arthritis. Due to pain, inflammation and stiffness. The child must go see a doctor which then leads to time away from school, which then leads to loss of social contact. That finally leads to a whole lot of problems which a child doesn't need in their lives.

These children just like me suffer every day in pain and stiffness which means they may find it hard to do every day things. This was the case for me around this time every year.

"What do you have swollen this year Sarah?" is what my friends always ask me.

Well this year it's quite exciting (please note my amazing sarcasm skills) my left elbow is quite warm, is much larger than my right one and it hurts so much that I just don't know how I managed to type this blog post. 

Except we all know how I managed to write this post. It is because no matter what time of the year it is, or how much pain I am in. I live for supporting children just like me living with Arthritis. As I always say; there's no point giving up because what I suffered with as a child would all be a waste.

Until next time,

Keep smiling as you never know who's day you'll brighten. 

No comments:

Post a Comment