Tuesday 17 November 2015

What is Lupus?

The year was 2013 and it was my usual Rheumy, or Arthritis doctor to those who don't know the Arthritis lingo. It starts with a blood test that usually takes more than half an hour. This is because my veins are quite thin due to the thousands of times they have been broken because of infusions, operations and blood tests.
From here it's the wait to see the Rheumy and into her office I go.

Now I am referring to this particular appointment as this was when I was told I had an extra strand in my body that is known as Lupus in my case.
Up to this point I had experienced times of getting lost while out driving, feeling more tired than usual, random vomiting throughout the day and a rash all over my body that was made worse through sunlight. Now if you have any of these symptoms please do not assume that it's Lupus, please go see you local doctor.

This moment that the Rheumy informed me of yet another autoimmune disease was attacking my body, I did feel just a bit frustrated with the result but at the same time there was nothing I could do to fix it.

Now for those who don't know what Lupus is, I found an easy explanation on MedicalNewsToday.

Lupus is a chronic autoimmune disease in which the immune system produces antibodies to cells within the body leading to widespread inflammation and tissue damage.
Any part of the body can be affected by lupus as it has an array of clinical manifestations affecting the skin, joints, brain, lungs, kidneys, blood vessels and other internal organs.

When I am diagnosed with a new condition, which happens quite a lot these days. I ask as many questions as possible to the Rheumy and she refers me onto the internet for more information. Some of my favourite facts (sarcasm) about Lupus that I found online are:

Lupus is an autoimmune disease that can be mild or life threatening.
- More than 90% of Lupus suffers are Women.
Staying out of the sun is perhaps the most important thing to do.

What does make me furious is that my Lupus may have been prevented as it's believed to be medical induced. Which means the medication I may have once taken or take now have caused Lupus. 

Even though it's another disease I now have to live with everyday, I do have a life and this life may be short for me, but I am determined to live everyday to the full and to live it supporting other children like me with Arthritis.

Until next time.

Keep smiling as you never know who's day you'll brighten.


No comments:

Post a Comment